[IPython-dev] taskclient clear and hierarchical parallel processing

Satrajit Ghosh satra at mit.edu
Thu May 13 07:43:33 EDT 2010

hi brian,

For now it is.  The issue is that the controller stores all the tasks
> in memory (eventually it should store them on disk), so clear() is
> used to get rid of tasks you are done with so you can save memory.  So
> yes, for now it is the desired behavior.

ah. i haven't actually performed a memory consumption analysis, but clearing
things when possible seemed like a reasonable thing to do. again the key
problem was running two or more parallel analysis scripts simultaneously. we
have situations where the workflow execution graph contains close to 700
nodes.

> > alternatively, is there a way to clear a specific task based on its task
> id?
> > basically i want to use the same pool of resources from multiple client
> > connections.
>
> We don't have a way of doing this currently.  Basically, you should
> call clear() when you know all clients are done with a set of tasks
> and you want to free up that memory.

any suggestions on how to figure out when all clients are done?

> > now i can flatten out all the DAGs and run them, but it would be neat if
> > there was a pattern that would enable running these as concrete entities.
>
> I have not really thought about this point before.  But I guess that
> you can get into a deadlock situation if all the nodes are busy and
> the sub-DAGs can't be executed because their parents are using all the
> engines.  Obviously if you have a larger number of engines, this
> problem can be avoided, but it would be nice if the scheduler itself
> could handle this.  Some questions:
>
> * Could be re-write it so that the sub DAGs were top-level tasks
> rather than doing the recursive task-submit-a-task thing?

i think this is what i meant by flattening out the DAGs and that's what we
are currently doing.

> We might have to look into ways of allowing tasks to be paused to that
> sub-tasks can run while the parent is paused.  Interesting things to
> think about...

that would be neat. it's like the the node saying, put me to sleep and use
my resources, when my child tasks are done wake me up.

cheers,

satra