[IPython-dev] ipython-zmq messages

Omar Andrés Zapata Mesa andresete.chaos at gmail.com
Thu May 27 22:59:41 EDT 2010

Hi all.
well, I have written a IpMessage class  that content different information
 to share between frontend and kernel.
but I think we need discuss this topic  in this list, to take more ideas and
a better desing.
Brian and Fernando have written a initial desing, you can found it in
http://github.com/ellisonbg/pyzmq/tree/master/examples/kernel/

I thought a similar desing and I am doing a  graphical desing.

*REQ/REP:*
*

Request:
# msg_type = 'request' content = {
code : 'a = 10',
 }

Reply:

# msg_type = 'reply' content = {

'status' : 'ok' OR 'error' OR 'abort' # data depends on status value
'message':'error_message' or 'output_message'
}
*
*
*
*PUB/SUB:*
*
*
*Complete: *
for tab-completion we can update user_namespace in all frontends and do a
local search we readline

# msg_type = 'update_ns' content = {
user_sn : ns_dict # ns_dict is a dictionary with ns information of kernel,
kernel can send a broadcast
                          # message with this information.
}

# msg_type = 'stream' content = {
name : 'stdout', data : 'blob',  # "name" can be too stderr and you can send
this message to see
                                          # output while process is running
}

*Control:*