[IPython-dev] [Nipy-devel] git workflow and gitwash and what's next

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 13:25:49 EDT 2010

Yo,

> This is very good! I sometimes wish there was a 'git undo' command, so I
> particularly like this section:
>
> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/dev/gitwash/development_workflow.html#rebasing-on-master
>
> My recent experiences with rebasing have been quite painful and I wish I
> always had a tmp branch to reset to, before I get myself into trouble.
> People like me should not be allowed to follow Fernando's instructions about
> rebasing, without having a tmp branch to go to, when they (that is, I) screw
> up.

The gitwash docs so far have the idea of a spectrum of experience - so
we were trying to cover:

1) User who just wants to run from the latest source, but will not do
edits (just git clone)
2) Someone who has done some small edits (bugfix, docs) but with not
much experience (make patches and email)
3) Full on developer (feature branch, pull request)

I wonder if in fact we want to extend the distinctions to:

3a) Developer fairly new to git (feature branch, pull request, never
rebase nor merge)
3b) Developer with a lot of git experience (feature branch, rebase,
pull request)

?

See y'all,

Matthew