[IPython-dev] git workflow and gitwash and what's next

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 02:38:06 EDT 2010

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 10:17 AM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:

> More controversial is Fernando's 'always rebase' proposal:
>
> http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/ipython-dev/2010-October/006748.html

Just for the record (I mentioned this today to Matthew), I'm totally
on board with *not* requiring rebase.  It's pretty clear from the
feedback that it would only scare/confuse many potential contributors,
so there's no point in asking for that.

A *committer* who needs to rebase a branch in order to disentangle a
particularly problematic piece of history may choose to do so if
really necessary, but we shouldn't ask that a random contributor need
to become a git guru just to send us a few commits in a branch.

So I think overall we're in pretty good agreement on the workflow ideas.