[IPython-dev] IPython on PyPy

Alex Gaynor alex.gaynor at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 13:03:36 EST 2010

Hello all,

I've been spending the last couple of days working on getting IPython
working on PyPy.  Most of this has been easy things like unimplemented
features in our readline module (such as get_line_buffer, get_endidx,
and insert_text), however now I'm facing some harder issues that I
could use some suggestions on.  For reference our readline module
comes from pyrepl (http://codespeak.net/pyrepl/).

1) First when using Gnome Terminal I get some strange unicode
"artifacts": http://i.imgur.com/Vz9uw.png, this doesn't appear when
running IPython on CPython in GNOME terminal, nor does it appear with
pypy under xterm.  I have no idea what causes this, any advice would
be great.

2) When using <tab> to complete the current line gets swallowed up:
http://i.imgur.com/9ND2x.png.  What was done was 1) `import sys` 2)
`sys.pyp<tab><tab>`.  I assume this is either a bug in our readline or
in IPython, but I have no idea how to diagnose it.

One question I have is: is IPython's autocompletion stuff unittested
at all?  Unfortunately our readline module isn't well tested at all
(especially compared to the rest of our code base).

Thanks for any input,
Alex

--
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your
right to say it." -- Voltaire