[IPython-dev] Status of py3k ipython

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 16:26:39 EDT 2010

On 3 October 2010 20:28, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> Don't worry about twisted *at all*.  It will be a long time before
> they port to py3, and we will move our infrastructure from twisted to
> zmq before that.  So feel free to simply ignore twisted.

Thanks, MinRK told me this as well. I knew that zmq was coming in, but I
hadn't twigged that the plan was to replace twisted. I'll ignore it.

> Pyqt will be important later on, but for now you can focus on the
> terminal-based tools.  Hopefully as py3 uptake increases, the qt tools
> will be more easily available for py3.

After sending that, I did get PyQT installed, when I realised I could get
the source of the necessary version using apt-get. After some fiddling with
pyzmq and Cython, I got zmq bindings installed as well, and the
IPython.frontend test suite passes on my machine, but ipython-qtconsole
doesn't really work (I guess the twisted dependency needs to be removed from
the kernel).

> These two little devils are very peculiar and unpleasant.  They are
> tests that I managed to write to catch certain obscure edge cases, but
> they could probably be better written.

In fact, I think they're picking up meaningful errors in the code, just not
the errors they were intended to find. I'd got into a mess with
__builtins__, builtins, and __builtin__, which was causing the first problem
(in fact, the %run command tested restored __builtins__ correctly, but they
were wrong before it started).

In the second case, ipython seems to lose references to built-in functions
as it exits before it calls the __del__ method of the object. Could you
describe what happens in what order as ipython exits?

Thanks,
Thomas