[IPython-dev] Pull request workflow...

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 22:04:55 EDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think this is going a bit far.  As long as topic branches are clean
> "coffee cup handles" I don't see why doing a --no-ff merge without
> rebasing is that bad of thing.  I am not saying that rebasing is a bad
> idea, but to always use it seems to miss the main point of using a
> good DVCS: the ease of merging just about anything.

Hopefully the example I sent clarifies: it wasn't for a --no-ff case,
but rather for a case that would have produced a horrid DAG.  Since
Thomas had merged multiple times *from* trunk, the original merge in
the pull request was ~11 levels deep.  The dag was completely
incomprehensible.  A rebase was trivial (no content changes) and it
produced the much more understandable picture here:

http://imgur.com/nBZI2