[IPython-dev] Jython support in ipython

Jim Baker jbaker at zyasoft.com
Fri Oct 22 19:03:36 EDT 2010

Fernando,

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 4:16 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Jim!
>
> [ great to hear from you again :) ]
>
> Same here!

> I have to run soon and will be offline for a few days, so I wanted to
> at least drop a very quick reply to get you going, while I have a
> chance for a more detailed discussion.
>
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 2:53 PM, Jim Baker <jbaker at zyasoft.com> wrote:
> > As of r7164 of Jython, which will be part of 2.5.2rc2 (and hopefully the
> > last release candidate for Jython 2.5.2!), we have what looks decent
> support
> > for readline emulation for Jython, sufficient to run a minimally modified
> > version of ipython 0.10.1, including colorization (which is not
> reproduced
> > when copied here for whatever reason from my terminal):
>
> First, this is *great* news.  We'll do whatever we can from our side
> to make the integration easier as we move forward.

Thanks!

> > Create a jython-ipython fork on github, then make it available from PyPI.
> My
> > current plan is to target against the 0.10.1 tag, but if it makes more
> sense
> > to go with 0.11 (especially AST support), then please tell me. More unit
>
> As to this point, yes, please base any new work you do on the 0.11
> tree (master branch on github).  The 0.10 codebase is in minimal
> maintenance-only mode, while the 0.11 one is in very active
> development and has seen massive refactorings (for the better).  So
> that's the place to build any new ideas on.

I just tried a checkout of master, however I get the following:

ImportError: Python Version 2.6 or above is required for IPython.

Trying a little bit more by disabling that version check, I discovered that
at least 2.6's support of print as a function, instead of a statement, is
used. Now Jython 2.6 work kicked off just this week, so hopefully we don't
really need 2.6. Jython 2.5 does have two key 2.6 features that you might be
using: 1) full mutable ast support (through the ast module, used by sympy's
support); 2) class decorators. (We also have namedtuple.)

Maybe for Jython this is just a matter of isolating the print function? It
doesn't seem to be used in too many places.

- Jim