[IPython-dev] IPython on python3, for the adventurous...

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 15:08:46 EDT 2010

Hi all,

thanks to the great work done by Thomas Kluyver, for those of you
starting to use Numpy (or other projects) on Python 3 and who wanted
to have IPython as your working environment, things are getting off
the ground:

(py3k)amirbar[py3k]> python3 ipython.py
Python 3.1.2 (release31-maint, Sep 17 2010, 20:34:23)

IPython 0.11.alpha1.git -- An enhanced Interactive Python.
?         -> Introduction and overview of IPython's features.
%quickref -> Quick reference.
help      -> Python's own help system.
object?   -> Details about 'object', use 'object??' for extra details.

In [1]: import io

In [2]: import sys

In [3]: sys.ver
sys.version       sys.version_info

In [3]: sys.version
Out[3]: '3.1.2 (release31-maint, Sep 17 2010, 20:34:23) \n[GCC 4.4.5]'

etc...

This is still very much a work in progress, and we haven't made any
official release.  But there's a github repo up and running with a
proper bug tracker, so by all means let us know what works and what
doesnt' (and even better, join in with help!):

http://github.com/ipython/ipython-py3k

Our hope is to eventually merge this work into ipython proper at some
point in the future, but since the history of this branch is likely to
be messy (with many merges from trunk, auto-generated code and
possible rebases down the road) we're keeping it in a separate repo
for now.