[IPython-dev] can delete prompts in ipythonqt

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 20:13:31 EDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 5:10 PM, Evan Patterson <epatters at enthought.com> wrote:
> The fundamental issue is that the frontend has no way to tell whether
> a reply that has not come back from the kernel is a result of the
> kernel being broken or merely busy--the frontend has no choice but to
> be silent. Although I've never seen the frontend outright freeze, you
> can verify that this has not happened by pressing Ctrl-Period.
>
> The only way to verify that the kernel is sending the messages is to
> look at the debug output.

In this case I had an error at the very beginning, and the frontend
was just frozen, without any messages having been emmitted by the
kernel yet.  Kind of staring at a blank wall...

But I figured it out by the sheer power of my raw intellect (aka,  I
stared at the same line of code for 5 minutes until I realized how
dumb I was).  All good now :)