[IPython-dev] IPython on Python 3

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 09:07:25 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I know running IPython on Python 3 has been discussed before, and that doing
a proper port might take a long time. However, I was messing about with
Python 3, and found IPython was the thing I missed most, so I thought I'd
investigate how difficult it was to get it running.

Using 2to3, and tweaking the result a bit (mostly for the new Unicode
strings), I have a version that works, at least for basic use on my
computers:
http://github.com/takowl/ipython

Basic use includes starting it up, running commands, docstrings ("object?"),
tab completion (see below) and history. I don't claim that the codebase is
neat: I've done a largely automatic conversion, without attempting to
understand how it all fits together.

One specific issue I'd like some advice on: tab completion currently doesn't
work in the main namespace, before any dots. So mystring.isdig<tab> works,
but prin<tab> doesn't do anything. Filenames within strings don't
tab-complete either. I've tried to investigate, but I guess the code
silences any errors, and I don't really know where to start looking. I
imagine it's the Unicode question again.

Naturally, anyone is welcome to use it or improve it.

Best wishes,
Thomas