[IPython-dev] IPython with Py3k

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 16:04:15 EDT 2010

On 15 September 2010 01:04, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> Fantastic, many thanks!!! We're 'landing' newkernel right now, so we
> may wait until you return from holiday (just not enough time to do
> both), but this is very, very much appreciated.

No problem. I'll keep updating the code from newkernel.

> That is handled by showsyntaxerror, line 1506 in
> core.interactiveshell.  This calls a special exception handler that
> was constructed in line 1338:

Thanks, that's great, and I've fixed it now. It was unpacking the exception
into variables, which is no longer possible in Python 3. I think this will
be compatible with Python 2.6, so I may put it back into ipy3-preparation at
some point. One question: the code describes stuffing the filename into the
exception '(because Python's parser always uses "<string>" when reading from
a string)'. In what context is this used? Disabling it doesn't seem to make
any difference in the cases I've tried, but have I overlooked something?

Best wishes,
Thomas