[IPython-dev] Heads-up: Twisted code removed, IPython.parallel (zmq-based) now in master

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 03:43:24 EDT 2011

Hi all,

just a heads-up, that all Twisted code is now completely gone from
IPython, and the awesome new parallel code that replaces it has been
merged today.  It can be imported as IPython.parallel.  The three most
relevant links from the docs are probably:

http://ipython.github.com/ipython-doc/dev/parallel/index.html
http://ipython.github.com/ipython-doc/dev/development/parallel_messages.html
http://ipython.github.com/ipython-doc/dev/development/parallel_connections.html

Dependencies: while the qt console works with zmq 2.0.10.1 or newer,
the parallel code requires zmq 2.1.4 (current).

We'll be beating this code a lot in the next few months over a few
releases, so the apis are open for feedback, improvement, suggestions,
etc.  But we're very excited both with the functionality and the
performance, and we see this as a stable foundation that will be
supported for a long time, so please do test it and complain on
anything that doesn't work.

I want to acknowledge Min's extraordinary work on this front: when
Brian and I started building the zmq code for interactive work just
about 1 year ago, it was clear to us these ideas would have a lot of
potential for parallel computing, but we always imagined we would at
best *start* work on that topic around summer 2011.  That come early
spring this has already been completely done to the point where we can
merge it and begin polishing it for release is crazy, and only makes
sense if you know Min's talent.  It's a privilege to have him working
on IPython.