[IPython-dev] messaging protocol

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 05:43:55 EDT 2011

On 8 April 2011 09:04, Jason Grout <jason-sage at creativetrax.com> wrote:

>  I was thinking more of multiple output messages for a single input
> (assuming that you stored multiple outputs in the database).  That is
> our current problem, since our use-case will always have an
> execution_count of 1.

At present, if you get multiple outputs (e.g by doing "12*3; 88*14", they
are stored in a JSON list in the database (if you have output logging
enabled, which it isn't by default).

I'm not quite sure what you mean by always having an execution count of 1.
Is this the aleph prototype* or something similar? The way I envisaged
history working, if the namespace is preserved from command to command, the
execution count increases. If it isn't, each run is kind of a new session.
The interface for retrieving history works better with sessions with more
than one command, but there's nothing to stop you making sessions with a
single cell in each.

* For those who haven't seen aleph:
http://aleph.sagemath.org/static/sagealeph.html

Best wishes,