[IPython-dev] [Announcement] Imminent removal of IPython.kernel in favor of new IPython.parallel

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 12:13:50 EDT 2011

I managed to fail to send my reply to the list, so here it is for mailing
list records:
On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 15:35, Satrajit Ghosh <satra at mit.edu> wrote:
> hi min,
>
> great work on the parallel stuff. a few questions though:
>
> regarding using ipclusterz with pbs/sge/torque, i think the parallel docs
> refer to the old style of the user providing a template, but this is
> actually not necessary right? (at least from my cursory look at the code,
it
> seems to contain the 0.10.1 upgrade to generate a default template)

I did include your default templates from 0.10.1, so it is not
necessary to specify a template for simple cases, but I imagine many
users will still need to.  I'll make sure the doc reflects this.  And
yes, queue is one of the configurable parameters.

I have been using the default templates on SGE with no problems so
far, so they do appear to work for at least fairly simple cases.

> also are you planning to include the options from the 0.10.1 series?
(e.g.,
> -e for ssh, -q for the queues, lsf support). if not, i'll try to create
> those when i have some time unless somebody gets to them before i do.

Configuration of ipcluster (aside from 'n') is not exposed to the
command line, so you must always use a config file with ipcluster, but
we do allow pretty extensive control over how things execute.  Looking
at 0.10.1, it appears that LSF can be supported with the PBS launchers
purely with existing configurables (PBS and SGE certainly could, but
defaults were added for convenience).

SSH launching and killing is still more primitive than 0.10.1 (though
I have used it to launch 80 engines on a cluster this morning), so if
you want to add LSF defaults and improve SSH, help filling in the gaps
is certainly welcome.
An important point is that, unlike in 0.10, it is not
acceptable to require the Controller to be local.

-MinRK