[IPython-dev] (slightly OT) tags vs. branches

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 02:16:13 EDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 11:03 PM, Aaron Meurer <asmeurer at gmail.com> wrote:
> So I would evaluate any
> reviewing policy not only against a potential gain in code quality but
> also against your reviewing manpower.

Yes, that's pretty much the balance we try to strike.  We really try
to avoid branches going stale, because there's a real risk they will
stop merging cleanly if they diverge too much.  With more manpower,
ideally everything would get reviewed, and we do make a point of never
bypassing review for really important, large or complex changes.  And
the codebase has certainly improved thanks to that policy, which is
much easier to apply on github than it was on the nightmare that is
the bzr/launchpad combo.