[IPython-dev] Announcing shrubbery

Grahame Bowland grahame at angrygoats.net
Sun Aug 21 09:29:55 EDT 2011

Hi Thomas

Yep, I'm including Matplotlib. I'm using the matplotlib-py3 branch from here:
  https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib-py3
with some changes of my own which I should send upstream, in my own branch
  https://github.com/grahame/matplotlib-py3

My changes fix some undefined symbols in the macosx backend, a few
string encoding things.

In shrubbery the qtconsole works out of the box, but it has quite a
few problems with Python3. Looking at the ipython changelog it sounds
like this will be in the pyzmq having trouble with string encoding.
Should be easy enough to fix, I'll have a look. I must say the
qtconsole is pretty swish.

Installed it's currently over 400MB, I'll be able to cut this
significantly but am focussing my time on other things at the moment
:-)

Cheers
Grahame

To reproduce the problems I'm seeing provoke a traceback:
def blah(): 1/0
blah()

Or try to do an inline plot in the 'ipython3 qtconsole pylab=inline' mode.