[IPython-dev] New console frontend, testing needed..

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 15:18:58 EST 2011

Hi all,

We have finally landed the two-process terminal frontend from

https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/864

(which itself built on two previous PRs, #433 and #708).  This adds a
terminal-based frontend which you can start with

ipython console

it should feel pretty much like 'plain old' ipython, and supports
--pylab, profiles and all the same options.  But this one actually
runs the kernel in a separate process, which means it can attach to
kernels started by the Qt console or by the notebook.

If you're willing to test it and let us know of any problems, we'd
greatly appreciate it.  Those of you used to running from git need
only update master. If you want a static download, github conveniently
provides a download of master in zip and tar.gz formats:

https://github.com/ipython/ipython/zipball/master
https://github.com/ipython/ipython/tarball/master

A big thank you to those who put in all the effort to make this
happen, starting with Omar Zapata (this was the continuation of his
Summer of Code effort last year) and Paul Ivanov who built on top of
Omar's work.