[IPython-dev] Should we disable autocall by default from now on?

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 06:53:07 EST 2011

On 8 December 2011 09:43, Hans Meine <hans_meine at gmx.net> wrote:

> - In the standard terminal, /it should be rewritten in history/ at least.
>
> Note that the latter can and should be done independent of other expansions
> (e.g. magics); I recall the discussion in which we (more or less) all
> agreed
> that history should give you the raw command (e.g. a magic) instead of
> revealing implementation details.

Just to summarise what currently happens with history: we store 'raw' and
'translated' history, where translated history should always be
syntactically valid Python code. Autocalling, magics, system commands and
aliases are all translated. Raw history is naturally exactly what the user
entered. For most things (%hist, %recall, %rerun, %pastebin and readline
history) we default to using the raw history. %macro, %edit and %save use
translated history.

What you're proposing would fit in as a sort of 'preferred' history,
picking raw or translated history depending on the contents. I can see how
that would be useful, but on the other hand I'm not sure that the benefits
merit the added complexity, especially now that autocall is off by default.

Thanks,
Thomas