[IPython-dev] Victims of our own success, change of strategy needed to get 0.12 released...

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 19:02:25 EST 2011

A summary of the ones currently outstanding:

General:
811 (OSError): incomplete, not to be merged
1073 (storemagic/default extensions):
    Proposes extra work to move extensions to Shell from App.  I suggest
letting the extra work wait until after release, and merge this one as-is.
1116 (shlex unicode): BLOCKER
    I believe this is ready as-is.  It needs a rebase, because it's based
on a branch that was already merged via cherry-pick, but that can easily be
done at merge time.  I'd be happy doing this right now.
1120 (vim-ipython):
    This is Paul's, and doesn't touch the core.  We should just merge it,
wherever it is, when we cut the RC, as Paul describes in the PR.
1128 (pylab start menu and profile): BLOCKER
    Minor issue and easy fix, a conversation is all we need. Since we ship
a broken button, it should be merged.
    I think based on Fernando's lates comment on the mailing list, the
recommendation is to remove the pylab profile
    that we ship altogether, and make the start menu item just do `--pylab`.
1129 (unified setup.py):
    Looks perfectly fine to me, but I am wary of a significant change to
setup.py immediately before release.  I would let this one slide, and merge
immediately after release.
1130 (arg_split / ValueError):
    I'd let this one slip.  %timeit is the principally improved magic, and
this particular fix could have unforeseen implications. The right answer
should probably be that some/all magics *do not* use arg_split, which is
really for something else, instead using their own function that behaves
appropriately.
1137 (MPIExec->MPI rename):
    Simple rename of a few launchers, so that the MPILauncher names are
more symmetrical with SGE/MPI/SSH/PBS/LSF.  I would like this in 0.12,
simply because it means the old names won't need to survive in a deprecated
form for as long.
1138 (symlink):
    One line fix in a test, I'll merge it now.
1140 (embed): BLOCKER
    This one is really important, because part of embedding just doesn't
work right now.  It could be ready as-is, I'm just not familiar enough with
the relevant code to be able to tell.

Notebook related:

873 (ReST): incomplete, not to be merged
1079 (login/logout buttons in the notebook):
    The principal issue this fixes is that no login button is drawn during
a read-only view, when login is possible.  You must explicitly visit
    notebook/login in order to login.
    It is incomplete at this point, and principally a convenience
improvement for an uncommon use case.  We need not block on it, but it
would be nice for users of read-only mode for following along.
1125 (notebook logo):
    Still ironing out alignment issues.  It's an aesthetic improvement, so
I wouldn't block on it.
1132 (name field):
    Principally aesthetic improvement to read-only mode.  Looks clean and
simple, should be ready for merge after a quick test.
1135 (custom settings to notebook webapp):
    I think this should be merged.  It's tiny and clean, but makes
customizing the notebook *much* easier, without requiring write access to
the IPython source dir, and is friendlier to environments where serving
static files from a source tree is inappropriate.
1139 (notification):
    Proof of concept, not meant to be merged.

In general, we can't wait for the notebook to be perfect, or we won't get
0.12 out for years.

QtConsole related:

1122 (IPythonWidget.execute_file):
    Fixes a quote-escape issue in IPythonWidget.execute_file, a method that
is used for nothing at all, as far as I can tell.  Looks fine to me, but I
don't know why we have the method at all.

My reading of the list:
blockers: 1116, 1128, 1140
I recommend: 1073, 1120, 1122, 1132, 1135, 1137
should go in if they are finished in time, but shouldn't block: 1079, 1125
recommend pushing to after release: 1129, 1130, 1139

-MinRK