[IPython-dev] [IPython-User] [SciPy-User] [ANN] IPython 0.12 is out!

Thomas Spura tomspur at fedoraproject.org
Wed Dec 21 04:02:18 EST 2011

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 12:02 AM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 12:50 PM, MinRK <benjaminrk at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I know we plan to continue the short release cycle with at least two
>> more significant releases in 2012, but do we want to have a 'bugfix'
>> branch for possible 0.12.1?  We were bitten pretty hard by the pyzmq
>> version-check bug, and we probably should have cut  0.11.1 with the
>> fix, which we had in master two months before the issue came up.
>>
>> I suppose we don't have to make a decision until we make our first
>> change that shouldn't go into an incremental release, but I thought I
>> would float the idea.  I don't think we have to make such a release
>> unless we find a potential bug that justifies one, but I think the
>> cost of making 0.11.1 would have been lower than the time we spent
>> saying "duplicate of #XYZ, fixed in master" on GitHub.
>
> Agreed.  It's easy enough to make such a branch after the fact, if it
> proves to be necessary, and to cherry pick anything from master we'd
> like to see in there.  I agree that we probably should have cut a
> 0.11.1 for that silly bug :)
>
> In this case there's an added incentive to a bugfix branch: while
> we'll most likely get 0.12 included in ubuntu 12.04, they won't do a
> version upgrade to 0.13.  But I think they do push minor bugfix-only
> updates, so it would help anyone in an environment that sticks to the
> default ubuntu LTS policies get at least the most critical fixes.

Hmm, and why not?
I can understand, that nobody wants to do the switch to 0.11 in a
released distribution, because anything changes, e.g. configuration
all modules... So when you plan something similar with the next
release, a bugfix release would be great. When the next release
includes the feature set of the old one (only adds more feature) and
has the bugfixes of the old one, I don't see a problem, to not do an
extra bugfix release...

Greetings,
   Tom