[IPython-dev] [IPython-User] [SciPy-User] [ANN] IPython 0.12 is out!

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 05:35:56 EST 2011

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 02:06, Nicolas Chauvat
<nicolas.chauvat at logilab.fr> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 03:02:27PM -0800, Fernando Perez wrote:
>> > cost of making 0.11.1 would have been lower than the time we spent
>> > saying "duplicate of #XYZ, fixed in master" on GitHub.
>>
>> Agreed.  It's easy enough to make such a branch after the fact, if it
>> proves to be necessary, and to cherry pick anything from master we'd
>> like to see in there.  I agree that we probably should have cut a
>> 0.11.1 for that silly bug :)
>
> +1 having a stable branch where only fixes can enter and a development
> branch for the rest is a very common good practice.

It certainly is, and the reason we did not do so for 0.11, and would
consider not doing so for 0.12 is that we have planned a very short
release cycle (3-6 months per release) while recently introduced
features (zmq, qt, notebook) get settled.  In that situation bugfix
releases are of limited value, and our precious little dev time is
better put towards finishing each 'real' release.  But if we do find
any *critical* bugs like the zmq-version detection one, we should cut
a bugfix release to prevent perpetual reports of a long-fixed bug.