[IPython-dev] ipython-qtconsole and docstrings

Evan Patterson epatters at enthought.com
Fri Feb 4 13:03:50 EST 2011

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 11:19 AM, MinRK <benjaminrk at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 06:59, Darren Dale <dsdale24 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > This morning I updated my zmq/pyzmq and tried running
> > ipython-qtconsole from the master branch. I had let my zeromq
> > installation get behind ipython development, and so I'm rediscovering
> > how awesome is the qtconsole. Having docstrings pop up at "(" is
> > great. I noticed though, that depending on the location of the mouse
> > pointer, the docstring may only briefly appear. It seems more likely
> > to occur if the pointer is located inside the region where the
> > docstring will be rendered. I'm running "ipython-qtconsole --pylab" on
> > a Snow Leopard machine, with native (not X-based) Qt provided by
> > MacPorts. Has anyone else noticed something similar?
>
> Yes, this is my experience, also on OSX 10.6.6, with native PyQt from
> their website.  The behavior is inconsistent, but seems more likely if
> the cursor is hovering over the popup, and also more likely if the
> popup is large.

This is not so much bug as it is a (mis)feature in the call tip
implementation.

https://github.com/ipython/ipython/blob/master/IPython/frontend/qt/console/call_tip_widget.py

The call tip autohides after a little if the mouse cursor is outside both
the console window and the tooltip frame. I did this because I thought it
was uncouth for an application to leave a (potentially very large) tooltip
up when the mouse was elsewhere. However, this is clearly a usability issue.
Perhaps a better solution would be to autohide the tooltip only if the
console window loses focus in the window manager?

> Another (probably) OSX-specific glitch: You cannot copy with 'cmd-c',
> because pressing command triggers an event that clears the selection.

I'm working on a Mac more regularly now, so I should be able to see this and
get it fixed soon.

Evan