[IPython-dev] Ascii imshow

Evan Patterson epatters at enthought.com
Sun Feb 13 14:49:17 EST 2011

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 7:01 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Nicolas,
>
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 1:32 AM, Nicolas Rougier
> <Nicolas.rougier at inria.fr> wrote:
> > After reading the commentaries, I realize there are still some work to do
> before the code can be properly integrated within IPython and I will try to
> make a nicer version as well as fully document it (using the template.py).
> For the git pull, I'm not very familiar with it and I don't know the proper
> command to pull or push, woudl yu have any pointer on this ?
> >

> Yes, the first 4 sections of our developer guide document coding and
> documentation guidelines, as well as the pull request process with
> github:
>
> http://ipython.github.com/ipython-doc/dev/development/index.html
>
> If you've never used git/github and get confused with any of the
> steps, please do let us know and we'll do our best to help.  While
> there's a little learning curve at the beginning, I think you'll find
> that learning to use git/github will pay off in many ways in your
> work.  Many scientific python projects have either already moved or
> are in the process of moving to git and/or github (numpy, ipython,
> enthought.*, nipy.*, sympy, and over the next few days matplotlib and
> scipy, likely many others too).
>
> > For making the code to work with the QT console, it would require to
> parse the string sent to the console and interpret the ascii sequences. I
> did it some time ago for a gtk/ipython console but I'm not familiar at all
> with qt. (parsing code is of course available if one want to work on it).
> >

> Interestingly, the behavior of the Qt console was *identical* to that
> of the Linux text console (the 'bare' screen console, outside of X11).
>  I don't know why that would be the case, just a data point for you...
>
> But for now, working in an xterm is already good.

The reason is that we implement the (more useful) ANSI escape sequences in
the Qt console, but not any of the xterm-specific sequences. Since most
terminal emulators implement them for compatibility reasons, so should
we---or at least we should implement the important ones. Comparing Nicolas'
code with this:

http://invisible-island.net/xterm/ctlseqs/ctlseqs.html

it look likes we need only implement two more sequences to get his code
working. I will add this to my TODO list (but as a low priority item, I'm
afraid).

Evan