[IPython-dev] Examples for magic commands

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 05:45:30 EST 2011

On 17 February 2011 03:07, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:

>  It would be great to drop
> them a short word of thanks and why it's being closed, since these are
> first-time contributors and even if their work wasn't accepted we want
> to be kind to newbies...

I tried to do something along these lines with each one I closed. I hope it
sounded sincere - I found it a bit tricky to convey that we're grateful for
their interest in contributing, even though we don't want the specific
changes.

I should add that what you did at SciPy India was an impressive feat: you
got a large group of entirely new contributors, had them download the
development codebase, make changes, and submit those changes as pull
requests that, although not perfect, mostly made sense. Hopefully it's a
good indication that there's relatively little technical friction for new
contributors.

Thomas