[IPython-dev] IPython on Python 3 - script names

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 20:18:41 EST 2011

So, that's one for and one against. ;-)

Dan, I take your point about 3k being an insider thing. I don't really like
ipython-py3, though. I don't know why, it just looks...ugly, somehow.

In fact, I'm now leaning back towards:
ipython3
ipython3-qtconsole

As you say, it's unlikely anyone would actually get confused, and we
wouldn't be alone in using that pattern (pydoc3, idle3*, virtualenv5 (!)).
It has the advantage that tab completion narrows down quicker: ipython-<tab>
gets you only py2 IPython names. Are people happy with that?

*pydoc3 and idle3 might be down to Ubuntu packaging, I don't know. It's a
precedent, in any case.

Apologies if it seems like I'm agonising over something trivial. I don't
want to keep changing the names, so I want to make sure they're the right
names to begin with.

Thanks,
Thomas