[IPython-dev] Qt console broken in trunk?

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 16:18:59 EST 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 7:12 PM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg at gmail.com> wrote:
> I mean require 2.0.10?

Aha, thanks.   Yes, my problem was a too-old pyzmq.

It's OK that we have a minimal version requirement, but what we should
do is catch the problem and report with a useful message.  A 'minimal
pyzmq version required for IPython is 2.0.X' message would have let me
know what's going on by myself, where as I was misled into thinking
the problem could have been elsewhere.

Given Mark's sleuthing on the state of distros, I have no problem with
requiring 2.0.10.  I don't think EPD is officially shipping any pyzmq
yet, are they?  We could always be super-nice and use the slow
fallback on 2.0.9, but I'm OK not even doing that until we hear an
actual complaint of a usage scenario where 2.0.10 is an unsuitable
burden for a user.

I'll proceed to update my pyzmq now, thanks for the info!