[IPython-dev] IPython 0.11 RC1 is ready for download... now we're actually getting close to a real release!

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 05:58:23 EDT 2011

On 4 July 2011 09:51, Thomas Spura <tomspur at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> What does that mean in detail?
> Are the old configuration files migrated to the new layout (so ipython
> can be pushed out as an update to existing releases) or is it necessary
> to do some manual tweaking?

No, the configuration system is completely redesigned. It uses a different
file in a different location with a different format. We've not made any
attempt to convert the old files - it would probably be impractical. We do
offer a warning if the old config files are there, to show the user it's
changed.

Fernando et al: I think we should actually have another look at this warning
message. When we were discussing the config system, I remember that we
wanted to avoid creating the config files unless the user asks for them. But
all upgrading users will see a loud warning message every time they start
ipython, and at a glance it looks like the path of least resistance to get
rid of it is to create the new config. It's also not a great user
experience, if the first thing they see is a warning message that probably
95% can safely ignore.

We should consider:
- Making the warning message a lot quieter. The old config has no harmful
effects, it's just that it no longer works.
- Renaming the old config files automatically (most users will simply be
upgrading, and won't need to run the two versions side by side)
- Deleting the old config files only if they match the unmodified default
config from 0.10 (i.e. user never changed them)
- Adding comments at the top of the old config files like "This config file
will not affect IPython 0.11 or above. Please see..."

Thomas