[IPython-dev] IPython 0.11 RC1 is ready for download... now we're actually getting close to a real release!

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 12:01:21 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 2:44 AM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> We have just finished putting together the first Release Candidate for
> IPython 0.11.  For users who have not followed development, this
> brings *a lot* of changes to the innards of IPython, and the code is
> much nicer to work on, and configuration more robust.  We ask that you
> check out the RC, and make sure that it installs properly on your
> system, and report any glaring bugs you see back to us.

Just some notes on OSX.

easy_install of pyzmq failed - needing zmq.h - I made an issue for
pyzmq in case that was a bug.
I got a bit bored trying trying to compile universal binaries for zmq
and gave up.
I downloaded and easy_installed the pyzmq python 2.6 egg from pypi;
this gave an error as it appeared to believe that pyzmq had a
dependency on pyzmq and then tried downloading the pypi file again
with the same error as above.  However, despite this, the egg install
appeared to work (import zmq).

python setup.py install of ipython worked fine

I see 'Exit' has gone and 'exit' just exits - I think this is not in
'What's new' but I may have missed it.  Maybe deprecated alias Exit?

I tried:

from IPython import embed
embed()

and got:

Traceback (most recent call last):
IOError: File u'ipython_config.py' does not exist in any of the search
paths: (u'/Users/mb312/.ipython/profile_default',)

I was surprised that I could start ipython without this error, but the
embed() shell raised it.  Obviously:

ipython profile create

solved that one, but maybe it would be worth documenting.

Thanks for the release RC, looking forward to it...

Matthew