[IPython-dev] IPython 0.11 RC1 is ready for download... now we're actually getting close to a real release!

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 15:16:49 EDT 2011

Hi Julian,

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 3:50 AM, Julian Taylor
<jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Is there a way you can release a pure source tarball without the
> pregenerated documentation?
> It would save quite a few megabytes and I would not have to repackage
> the source to comply with debian rules.

I now realize we forgot to mention that pure source (no docs, nothing)
download archives are made automatically available by github, because
we did make a tag for the RC:

https://github.com/ipython/ipython/archives/master

Github will always have these pure source downloads available. The
reason for including the docs is that they aren't completely trivial
to build (sphinx, other dependencies for full api coverage, etc), and
it's useful for users to have docs for offline use.  In particular, as
our non-terminal interfaces improve (qt, web), then it makes even more
sense for IPython to actually know for sure where its own docs are,
since then it can call up help and information directly for the user
from within the interface.  We don't have any such features
implemented yet, but I think it would greatly enhance the usability of
the system if we could pull up dynamically relevant html help for
users.

However, if for debian/distro reasons the github downloads aren't
sufficient/convenient, we can certainly look into building 'bare' and
'with-docs' versions of the tarballs at release time, it's easy enough
to adjust our release script to create both kinds.

Regards,