[IPython-dev] Qt api selection re. ipython and matplotlib

Darren Dale dsdale24 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 22:26:08 EDT 2011

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 9:17 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Eric Firing, Darren Dale and others in the MPL team are trying to work
> out the Qt API selection issues after our own updates, but there are
> some technical questions in there that require more knowledge about Qt
> than I have.  The MPL pull request is:
>
> https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/390
>
> which follows our own recent changes:
>
> https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/550#issuecomment-1490217
>
> Evan has already done the lion's share of the work on this topic, but
> I figured I'd ping the list in case someone else can also jump in,
> since I myself am kind of useless on the details of Qt itself.

Note that this is probably not specific to matplotlib, but rather
IPython's qt gui support. IPython.external.qt is setting the sip api
level for PyQt4 to api version 2. Version 2 is not the default for
python-2, which means that ipython would not be able to run PyQt4 apps
or scripts that use QString or QVariant, both of which are officially
supported in the default PyQt4 api. It will impact a lot of users and
a lot of projects.