[IPython-dev] please don't rename old config files by default

Paul Ivanov pivanov314 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 13:35:04 EDT 2011

Thomas Kluyver, on 2011-07-09 15:33,  wrote:
> If I might open mysterious door number 3, would it make sense to offer the
> user the option to rename the files on the first run? If they don't want to,
> we could drop a marker of some sort so that next time, we give the warning
> message without the prompt. Or we could temporarily define a
> %remove_old_config magic, and mention it in the warning message. In short:
> an easy but non-automatic way to get rid of the old files for people who're
> permanently upgrading

If a) doesn't gain momentum, I'd be ok with either move y/n
prompt of the %remove_old_config magic, as both leave the user in
the driver's seat, as opposed to doing something on the user's
behalf. I guess that what I liked about a) is that it closes the
loop between user and IPython. We engage the users, bring them in
and show them where and how to modify various new and old
behavior of the software.

very best,
--
Paul Ivanov
314 address only used for lists,  off-list direct email at:

> P.S. Hi Paul, hope you're well!

Hi Thomas! I'm happy to have time to play with IPython again,
hope you're well as well!