[IPython-dev] vim-ipython integration's back

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 14:32:57 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 12:50 PM, Paul Ivanov <pivanov314 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've updated ipy.vim, so you can send lines or whole files for IPython
> to execute, and also get back object introspection and word
> completions in Vim, like what you get with: object?<enter> and
> object.<tab> in IPython.

Wow!  I just watched the video, this is seriously not cool at all...
Now I may finally have run out of excuses to learn vim and switch from
emacs :)

Awesome work, many thanks!

> The big change for ipy.vim is that it no longer requires
> the brittle ipy_vimserver.py instantiation, and since it uses
> just vim and python, it is platform independent (i.e. should work
> even on windows, unlike the previous *nix only solution).

As I noted in the pull request, this is a little too close to the core
to merge it now, but we'll do it right after release.  I will mention
it in the release notes, however, for more adventurous users who can
use 0.11 and add the small changes themselves, as it's basically made
possible by the 0.11 architecture.

Great work, Paul!