[IPython-dev] Website

Harry Percival harry at resolversystems.com
Wed Jun 1 05:48:48 EDT 2011

Hi all,

we've been lurking on the list for a few weeks.  We hope to have IPython
support in PythonAnywhere in the next week or two.  If you guys are
keen, we could probably serve up a "try it now" iframe, with a live
IPython interpreter for people to use, straight from your site...

Here's a screenshot by way of a teaser.  All nice colours, tab
completion works...  We'd probably need a couple more experience IPython
users to beta test though?

more info here: http://www.pythonanywhere.com/

rgds,
Harry

--
Harry Percival
Developer
harry at resolversystems.com
+44 (0) 20 3051 2751

PythonAnywhere: a Python console in your browser
<http://pythonanywhere.com/>

17a Clerkenwell Road, London EC1M 5RD, UK
VAT No.: GB 893 5643 79
Registered in England and Wales as company number 5467329.
Registered address: 843 Finchley Road, London NW11 8NA, UK

On 01/06/2011 10:26, Thomas Kluyver wrote:
> On 1 June 2011 04:33, Brian Granger <ellisonbg at gmail.com
> <mailto:ellisonbg at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     * Moving away from ipython.scipy.org <http://ipython.scipy.org> to
>     simply ipython.org <http://ipython.org>
>

> This makes sense. I understand we can easily create a CNAME if we're
> hosting the site using Github pages.
>
>     * Using sphinx for the entire site as matplotlib does.
>

> This I'm less sure about. Sphinx is great for documentation, but I
> don't think it works so well for a whole website:
>
> * The layout is really geared towards writing documentation.
> * With so many projects now using Sphinx for docs, people instantly
> recognise the layout and think 'docs'. Whenever I go to matplotlib's
> website, I have this feeling that I've missed the homepage somewhere
> and skipped straight to the docs.
> * We'll want to update parts of the website fairly often. If every
> small change requires the site to be checked out as source, rebuilt by
> Sphinx (with all its dependencies) and reuploaded, the site's just
> going to get out of date.
>
>     * Moving the wiki stuff over to github.
>

> Again, this makes sense. I take it we're talking about turning on the
> wiki feature in Github, rather than just moving the content into
> github pages?
>
> I think the key thing is to work out how we want to divide content
> between:
> - Documentation
> - A wiki
> - A landing page (or a small collection of pages)
>
> Thanks,
> Thomas

Harry Percival
Developer