[IPython-dev] %edit magic in new frontends

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 16:35:37 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 1:06 PM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, I have always found it confusing that "edit" actually meant "edit
> and run" in the terminal.

Let's not completely change this, though: while we can debate whether
it was the right original choice for me to have made years ago, and I
actually don't ever use %edit myself, I've seen (and received email
feedback) about people who *only* use ipython this way, and who rely
on this behavior as their natural workflow.

I think that if we find glaring problems in our design we should
definitely fix them and break backwards compatibility, but we should
also give some consideration to the weight of habit that has been
built in the worfklows of many people who may not necessarily be vocal
on our -dev list.