[IPython-dev] Website

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 05:57:00 EDT 2011

On 1 June 2011 21:32, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> I *really* want the website content to be under version control, and
> also to be written in reST instead of hand-coded html (except possibly
> for a few visually key pages like the main page, if necessary).  If
> it's in simple reST we're much more likely to actually keep it updated
> than if we have to hand-edit html, which I find fairly unpleasant.

I think in fact we're saying the same thing, but from two different angles.
I'm not suggesting we write reams of content in straight HTML. Sphinx/RST is
the right tool for the bulk of the stuff, augmented with a wiki for the more
changeable stuff. But, as you say, a couple of key pages - certainly the
landing page, and perhaps also the download page - need to be visually
attractive.

I think this is going to be easier to achieve by designing them in HTML than
by trying to hammer Sphinx's output into the form we want. Sphinx can be
themed, but the examples I've seen all still fit within a certain Sphinx
model, which doesn't feel ideal for a homepage.

I'll try building Komal's repository a bit later on.

In terms of the landing page, have you had a look at the file I sent above?
I'm by no means a designer, but that's how I envisage the basic shape of it
- a little content, with the focus on a set of key links to downloads, docs,
mailing lists, etc.

Thomas