[IPython-dev] trying to compile pyzmq

Ilan Schnell ischnell at enthought.com
Thu Jun 9 19:35:03 EDT 2011

Hello Group,

it is true that EPD installs zmq.h (anf many other header file,
other than the Python ones) in <sys.prefix>/include.  This way
the headers are always on the include path, if you use
distutils to compile C extensions.

> EPD has installed zmq.h to
> /Library/Frameworks/EPD64.framework/Versions/7.0/include, then?  If adding
> locations to include_dirs explicitly does not take precedence over the
> system defaults, then this is honestly a huge, critical bug in EPD itself,
> but I'm not 100% what's responsible for EPD being inappropriately prepended
> to the include path.

distuils is responsible this, so it is not a hugh critical bug in EPD itself,
although one could argue that it is a bug in distutils.  However, we don't
want to change distutils default behavior in EPD.

> The dirty, hackish answer would be to remove (or rename) the zmq headers
> installed by EPD, or install libzmq with a prefix of
> '/Library/Frameworks/EPD64.framework/Versions/7.0', thus clobbering the old
> libzmq.  There shouldn't be any EPD code that requires the existence of the
> zmq *headers*, but if they do similar horrible things with library paths,
> then you will only get one step further, and need to remove/replace libzmq
> in EPD entirely.

removing the zeromq EPD package, which includes the headers is a good solution.

- Ilan