[IPython-dev] Website - static files?

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 19:24:24 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 1:48 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 1:43 PM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Will ipython.scipy.org/moin/ still exist, or do we need to move some stuff
>> to a Github wiki quickly? At present, the cookbook, 'developer zone' and
>> list of projects that use IPython are still based on the moin wiki.
>
> No, we'll need to move to a new wiki.  But I did ask the Enthought
> admin to keep a domain like oldipython.scipy.org for a while, so we
> can go fish anything we may have missed (and I still have ssh access
> to the underlying account, if need be).
>
>>> Wohoo!   BUT, we now need to figure out the static file issue.  For a
>>> long time we've had a simple, static directory:
>>>
>>> http://ipython.scipy.org/dist/
>>>
>>> that houses release files and other static content.  This is handy for
>>> many reasons (easy to use, simply scp a file in there and anyone can
>>> get it, convenient archive of old stuff, etc).  Pypi and possibly many
>>> other locations point to that, so it would be nice if we could have
>>> ipython.org/dist with similar functionality.
>>>
>>> Thomas, do you have some ideas on how to approach this with the github
>>> setup?
>>
>> I'd go with roughly what other people are talking about: files to download
>> (like the releases) go in the Github downloads area, and other things can be
>> served straight from the website, as the PDF docs already are. Not quite as
>> convenient at the command line, perhaps, but I think it's workable.
>
> Fine by me, but two questions:
>
> - places like pypi expect a base url for downloads (what our old dist/
> one did) and they go fishing in there for files (eggs, sources, etc).
> Would the GH downloads area still work for that?

Yep:

https://github.com/zeromq/pyzmq/downloads

> - the dist/ area is BIG, as in 400MB big right now.  Before I push
> that, I want to make sure everyone saying that we go that route is OK
> with it :)  I don't have time right now to spend a few hours pruning
> old files, and I also *want* a public archive of all our old versions,
> so simply deleting all the old releases is not on the table.  I can
> push that dist/ as-is right now, but the next git pull of that repo
> will be hefty for those working with it :)

Let's not push all of this to the github files.  Here is what I am thinking:

* Prune older binary releases (pre 0.10).
* Upload the newer binary+source releases and older source releases to
github downloads.
* See how big the rest of dist is and push that to the github files.