[IPython-dev] Website - static files?

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 19:31:33 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 3:36 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 1:48 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
>> No, we'll need to move to a new wiki.
>
> And BTW, it's worth asking whether the github wiki really is the best
> option: what I don't like about it, is that it has a very strongly
> developer-oriented feel, because it's inside the repo area.  I wonder
> if for general user issues, a standalone wiki instance (we could just
> run a more recent version of moin, or something else, ourselves),
> isn't a nicer solution.  I love github as much as anyone else, but I
> don't think we need to blindly use github for everything just because
> it's github.  We should evaluate each of the tools they offer and use
> it only if it's a good fit for what we're trying to do.

I think that the github wiki is a good option, mainly because (I
think) it solves all of the problem of who can edit the wiki.  Moin is
a nightmare for that and forces us to manage users by hand.  Also, in
my mind, github is not just for developers in that it hosts our issue
and downloads which both are user focused.

But if we do want a separate wiki, I am -1 on Moin.  I have not been
impressed with it at all.  We would have to go searching for
alternatives...