[IPython-dev] Website - static files?

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 20:37:52 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl at gmail.com> wrote:
> FWIW, whatever system we end up with, I think we should allow any registered
> (and captcha-ed) user to edit, except maybe for a couple of critical pages.
> If editing's any harder than it needs to be, the content just ends up out of
> date. If the software doesn't keep spam low enough that we can revert what
> gets through, then we should consider switching to a system that can.

The reason we added that was precisely because we were having to spend
way too much time reverting stuff.  But the version of Moin on
scipy.org had no captcha, only registration.  Basically the balance
was:

- register plus email once to get added to the list, edit at will,
*zero* spam for three years.

- register only: endless spam.

I don't know where in that continuum of zero-to-infinite spam a
captcha system would put us.  Honestly, it doesn't seem to me that
asking people to send a single email for human authorization is a huge
burden that is really causing us to lose us a lot of contributors, and
it does cut *completely* the spam problem.  But perhaps it is causing
them to go away...