[IPython-dev] Website

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 05:37:17 EDT 2011

On 21 June 2011 10:15, Hans Meine <hans_meine at gmx.net> wrote:

> OTOH, subpixel-antialised images will look awful on monitors with a
> different
> (or no) subpixel layout!
>
> Since I don't see a way to detect this, I'd vote for the simpler
> antialiasing
> (maybe trying to align with pixels such that antialiasing is minimized,
> e.g.
> in Inkscape).

Then again, most people looking at it will be doing so on an LCD screen with
standard RGB pixel layout, so it makes sense to optimise for the common
case.

However, maybe we can let the browser render the banner. If we deliver it as
SVG with a fallback, or as HTML using the @font-face directive in CSS, we
should be able to have it rendered the best way on any screen, and degrade
gracefully in older browsers.

On the logos, I'd agree with Fernando that there's a lot of empty space
above the y - especially for Anonymous Pro and Quicksend.

Thomas