[IPython-dev] ANN: ETS 4.0 released

Ilan Schnell ischnell at enthought.com
Tue Jun 21 21:15:18 EDT 2011

Hello,

I am happy to announce the release of ETS 4.0.  This is the
first major release of the Enthought Tool Suite in almost
three years.  This release removes the 'enthought' namespace
from all projects.  For example:

    from enthought.traits.api import HasTraits

is now simply::

    from traits.api import HasTraits

For backwards compatibility, a proxy package 'etsproxy' has
been added, which should permit existing code to work.  For
convenience this package also contains a refactor tool 'ets3to4'
to convert projects to the new namespace (so that they don't
rely on the 'etsproxy' package).

If you want to download the source code of all ETS projects, you
can download http://www.enthought.com/repo/ets/ALLETS-4.0.0.tar (41MB).
The projects themselves are now hosted on: https://github.com/enthought

We understand that the namespace refactor (which prompted this
major release in the first place) is a big change, and even
though we have tested examples and some of our own code against
this ETS version, we expect there to be little glitches.  We are
therefore already planning a 4.0.1 bug-fix release in about 2-3
weeks.

We are looking forward to your feedback (the development mailing list
is enthought-dev at enthought.com), and hope you enjoy ETS 4.

- Ilan