[IPython-dev] Google summer of code

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 15:15:35 EST 2011

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg at gmail.com> wrote:
> If there is not a huge amount of momentum this year, I think sticking
> with the PSF for now makes sense.  Has anyone talked with Arc Riley
> about this year.  He is starting the process for other PSF projects
> (like sympy) and we should email him.

If we want to go for gsoc this year, I'd vote for simply using the
psf, I don't think we really need to be a separate mentoring
organization, we simply don't have enough available hands for that.

It's not even totally clear to me that we have the bandwidth to mentor
students: the core devs are stretched pretty thin as it is, and gsoc
mentoring, when done right, requires a real commitment of time on the
mentor's part.  In the ideal case that investment pays off in the long
run in terms of getting good new project members actively
participating, but that's not guaranteed while the upfront cost is a
given.

One question is, who would be interested in participating as a
student?  I know some people have expressed interest before, including
Kunal and Omar; I'd like to know if Thomas would like to be a student.
 Thomas, you've made enormous contributions to the project in a short
amount of time and would thus be a perfect candidate, but I don't know
how that could interfere with your studies over the summer, case in
which it would be a no-go...