[IPython-dev] Google Summer of Code

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 18:43:16 EST 2011

Hi all,

If you're a student, and you'd like to lend a hand with IPython this summer,
you might want to consider applying for Google Summer of Code. If you've not
come across it before, GSoC is an initiative to pay student programmers to
work with open source projects. For more details, have a look at the GSoC
website: http://www.google-melange.com/

There's a lot changing in IPython as we work towards 0.11, including new
frontends, a new parallel computing architecture, and a Python 3 port. If
you're interested, please e-mail the development list (ipython-dev at scipy.org)
with a little bit about yourself, your programming experience, and any
aspect of IPython you'd particularly like to work on (although we can supply
ideas if you're keen but uncertain). We're currently planning to take just
one student this year, so let us know why that should be you.

If you know (or teach) students who might be interested in spending their
summer writing Python, please forward this on to them.

Thanks,
Thomas Kluyver (on behalf of the core dev team)