[IPython-dev] Google summer of code

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 21:19:59 EST 2011

Hi Omar,

2011/3/8 Omar Andrés Zapata Mesa <andresete.chaos at gmail.com>:

> If you have suggestions to my application please let met know.

Working on this would be great, but there's something I mentioned to
you that will come up when others review your gsoc application, and
that you need to consider: completing last year's work so that the
console client is fully functional on top of the zmq code.  Your
improvements that we merged to the logging code were a good first
step, but there's still a bunch of work to do.

The issue is that a second-year student is expected to have
accomplished more than a first-timer.  We all know that taking on a
gsoc student doesn't guarantee that all the code will end up in the
project, but for a student to return to a project, there needs to be
clear evidence that over the previous year he did manage to contribute
significantly.

We'd talked about this a while ago, and as I said, the logging work is
a great first step, but I think you'll need to really complete the
rest of the console work.  Otherwise, it will be very hard for your
application to go through (remember, these will be reviewed by many
others from the PSF, who have access to your entire public commit
history both in your branches and in ipython).

I don't want to discourage you, just to give you a realistic picture
of the expectations of the program.

Best,