[IPython-dev] %doctest_mode in qtconsole

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 21:36:32 EST 2011

Hey Brian,

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 10:08 AM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am updating some of flags that control pretty printing and that led
> me to the %doctest_mode magic.  Updating the version of this for the
> terminal based IPython went find, but when I did the qtconsole
> version, I noticed that the frontend doesn't handle the prompt mode
> changes that are sent back in the payload.  I could have sworn that
> this was implemented and that %doctest_mode worked fully in the
> qtconsole.  What is the status of this?

sorry, just caught up with this... No, you remember wrong: in fact,
the doctest_mode magic was about the only thing we didn't correctly
port over to the qt console, and precisely for this reason.  Since it
involves changing the prompt handling, and we've decided to make
prompts a client-side thing rather than hardcode them in the kernel,
it will require some design/thinking about how we want to communicate
this kind of information to clients, as well as code in the Qt client
to do something about it.

That was pretty much the only magic we left out from functioning
correctly in the Qt console, I'm afraid.