[IPython-dev] run filename autocompletion "The kernel heartbeat has been inactive ... " error

Joon Ro joonpyro at gmail.com
Fri May 13 16:48:37 EDT 2011

Hi,

First of all let me say the qtconsole is awesome. Thanks for the brilliant
work.

I don't know if this is a bug, but when I press tab to autocomplete during
the input of the argument of the run magic command:

In [2]: %run 'work[TAB]

ipython-qtconsole hangs for a while, and then gives me the following error:

The kernel heartbeat has been inactive for 3.00 seconds. Do you want to
restart the kernel? You may first want to check the network connection.

And then if I press yes it tries to restart the python shell but it hangs
after the initial messages (In [1] never shows up)

In other cases (for example, with cd) the autocompletion of directories
works well.

I'm using openSUSE 11.4 64bit.

I am not sure if this is place to report these problems, so if not please
let me know.

Joon