[IPython-dev] [IPython-User] ipython (0.10.1) -wthread and -pylab bug in ubuntu natty

Paul Ivanov pivanov314 at gmail.com
Wed May 25 13:02:29 EDT 2011

Hi Thomas,

Thomas Kluyver, on 2011-05-25 15:45,  wrote:
> That reminds me - if I select the GTK backend in matplotlibrc, I can
> replicate the blocking behaviour in trunk as well, with:
>
> x = randn(1000)
> hist(x)   # No window appears
> show()   # Blocks even after closing the window
>
> Is this some quirk of my setup, or can anyone else replicate that? This is
> matplotlib 0.99.3.

That's a pretty old version of matplotlib for someone running
IPython trunk ;)

It works for me on ~month old mpl trunk, and ipython trunk.

I remember noting this kind of behavior when testing and fixing
the GTK blocking behavior that ended up in the 0.10.2 release.
IIRC, it occurred when you would try to use one backend for
matplotlib, but another is implied by the parameters IPython was
invoked with. In a comment on ipython/issues/185, I wrote

    ...users will see this issue if they use e.g "ipython -gthread"
    but their matplotlib is set to some other backend by default
    (say "WX").

> On 25 May 2011 14:53, Vincent Favre-Nicolin
> <vincefn at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> >  If you are using ipython combined with '-wthread' (for mayavi's mlab) or
> > '-pylab' (for matplotlib), there is currently a bug in Ubunty 11.04 (natty)
> > with ipython 0.10.1, which prevents the correct thread handling:
> >  e.g. with mayavi's mlab, it is necessary to use 'show()' to interact with
> > the window, which is not very practical (and is blocking). And for
> > '-pylab',
> > the GTK and wx (Aggg) backend do not work...

In the example Vincent provided above, if you invoked ipython
0.10.2 with -wthread, but have matplotlib use GTK, I believe you
will still see the blocking issue. (at least for a similar
vintage matplotlib, it might not be an issue for ~month old mpl
trunk, at least I couldn't replicate it there briefly just now).

best,
--
Paul Ivanov
314 address only used for lists,  off-list direct email at: