[IPython-dev] wxPython console

Emmanuel Bacry emmanuel.bacry at polytechnique.fr
Thu Nov 3 20:30:54 EDT 2011

Fernando Perez wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 5:17 AM, Emmanuel Bacry
> <emmanuel.bacry at polytechnique.fr> wrote:
>> Thomas Kluyver-2 wrote:
>>>
>>> At the moment, I don't think there's a good way to embed IPython in a
>>> GUI
>>> without starting a separate process, but this is something we want to
>>> get
>>> round to.
>>>
>> Too bad !
>
> There is a way of embedding that may actually work for you, and can
> save you quite a bit of time in that you could actually use your
> current Wx library as-is, and reuse our Qt console.  This example:
>
> https://github.com/ipython/ipython/blob/master/docs/examples/lib/ipkernel_wxapp.py
>
> shows how you can embed an IPython *kernel* in your own application.
> Given this kernel, you can then connect with any client capable of
> speaking the ipython protocol (right now that's the qtconsole or the
> notebook --with a small fix for talking to existing kernels needed),
> but there's also a terminal one in the works in PR #864).

I just tried that but the InternalIPKernel is not found ? I'm using IPython
0.11.
Where should it be ?
By the way, before even asking some more questions (what you are saying
seems very interesting but I'm not sure I follow), I don't quite understand
the terminology here : what is a kernel ? (compared to a shell in the
InteractiveShell example)

Thank you for your long answer

Emmanuel