[IPython-dev] Thoughts on the notebook format for version control

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 01:07:47 EDT 2011

On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 9:12 PM, Satrajit Ghosh <satra at mit.edu> wrote:
> 2.  the notebook is a webapp. from a user perspective, the vcs integration
> should happen at the app level, not a secondary commit at the underlying
> directory/file level by the user.

Yes and no: while I think we should offer easy integration with VC
(and things like a one-click 'publish as gist' menu entry would be
great), I also don't want to lock anyone in the 'app' view of the
world.  If anyone has notebooks that are part of an existing project
with its own version control setup, then that's where the VC belongs,
not in the notebook app.  For that use case, the notebooks are just
another type of file, next to python scripts, text files and anything
else that may be part of that project.  There's no reason why users in
that scenario should be forced to manage the notebooks differently
from their other files in the project.